Thursday, August 30, 2007

sleeping with Tiago

Last night I spent my first intimate night here at PAF with Tiago, a Portuguese performing arts critic. It's the first time in the sleeping project that I went to somebody else's bed rather than inviting the person into my own bed. It's because I thought Tiago had a bigger bed. But then I found out it's actually the same size as mine. He lives on the renovated corridor next door to Jan Ritsema and has his own private bathroom with a big bathtub.
Tiago showed interest in my project and then told me about a similar project a Portuguese friend did in Portugal. This friend went to meet strangers in their homes and in the city and sold these meetings as performances. I said that my project wasn't a performance but a research project.
Tiago talked a lot at first. I think we were both a bit shy. I tend to be quiet and say very little when I get shy. And I had a feeling that talking a lot was Tiago's way to hide or deal with his own shyness. He sat on his bed and I listened in lotus position on a little armchair next to the desk. He asked me what I was actually researching in my project. I said that I'm interested in how we negotiate intimate space - for example the fact that I was sitting on this low armchair and he was up on his bed lecturing down to me. It was like he was performing for me. Then he invited me to come sit on his bed.
We discussed about which side of the bed we prefer to sleep on. I ended up sleeping on the side next to the door so I could escape if I needed to. Tiago slept against the wall. Tiago usually sleeps naked. But he didn't want to make me feel uncomfortable and kept his boxers on. I usually sleep with the window open, but Tiago was too uncomfortable with the cold wind so we kept it closed. We did the spooning position and Tiago told me some really genuine things about how happy he was to be here spending his holiday with the Sweet and Tender people. I was really touched when he told me about his favorite moment here at PAF. It was when he fell off the bike and did a somersault into a field. It made him feel alive.
I was still talking about some short affairs and love stories I had had in my life when I noticed Tiago was already sleeping. I think it took me a while to fall asleep. Tiago was spooning me and his hand rested just below my rib cage on my side. I realized that I am really not used to feeling a warm hand in this place. But I left it there.

No comments: