Wednesday, August 29, 2007

searching for intimacy / sleeping project

This is my intimacy blog. I have started a project to search for intimacy. I am afraid of intimacy. And at the same time attracted to it.
I have never had a relationship for example. Last winter I started the sleeping project in Amsterdam. In the sleeping project the idea is to sleep with different people in a bed for one night. In Amsterdam I did this with some friends. Later I would like to try it with strangers as well.
While growing up I never invited friends to sleep over at my place like other kids. It's difficult for me to fall asleep in the presence of other people. My motivation to do the sleeping project is to challenge myself and to overcome my fear of intimacy. How does this foreign body next to me - its smell, its temperature, its energy, its comfort or discomfort - affect me? How do we negotiate this intimate space together? What kind of rituals do we perform for each other in order to feel more safe and comfortable to fall asleep?
My basic question is:
Is intimacy something that can be willfully induced? Or is it an ephemeral phenomenon that suddenly happens when we don't look for it? What are the parameters we can set up to allow for intimacy to flourish?

Is intimacy an endangered species? Is it a fragile plant?

No comments: