Thursday, August 30, 2007

intimate walk with Pieter

With Pieter I went for a walk one warm afternoon thru the woods to the maison bleue.
Pieter told me about his becoming more intimate with his parents. Driving in a car with his father he felt a strong connection and intimacy which made real conversation possible.
This was the first time Pieter felt he could really talk to his father.
He also told me about an experience with a girl he had been hanging out with at the Mediamarkt. He wanted to buy a toaster and she went along with him. In the end they spent three hours at Mediamarkt without buying anything. Pieter felt very intimately connected to her. Spending time with her felt completely natural and comfortable. So intimacy is possible even in the supermarket!
I realized that when alone in a car with my father I often feel very uncomfortable because we don't have much to say to each other or it seems there would be a lot of unresolved things to talk about but we don't do it. Pieter asked me if I would like to talk about these unresolved things on stage. I said why not. I already talk about it with my psychologist. And I think I would like to talk about them on stage as well. Or take a workshop about father son relationships with Martin Nachbar. I feel that the stage or a workshop or the psychologist give me a frame that make me more safe to talk about very intimate and difficult things.
Finally Pieter and I arrived in a small village. We went to the church and took some intimate pictures. I think it was inside the church that I felt most intimate with Pieter. Even though I don't believe in Jesus I still experience a feeling of awe and respect inside a church. I got excited and felt funny about taking these silly pictures with Pieter inside the church. It felt slightly inappropriate, if I was a believer it could even be blasphemous. So this feeling of doing something forbidden, of crossing a boundary and getting a kick out of it made me feel intimately connected to Pieter.

No comments: