Friday, September 7, 2007

intimate walk with Jenny

This was my first intimate walk in German. I don't think this played much of a role in the degree of intimacy experienced though. I mean of course the fact that we both speak German already puts us in a sort of intimate bubble where non-German speakers cannot enter.
But after my interview with Jan Ritsema I question the notion of intimacy needing a protected space to exist. According to Jan intimacy (which is the overcoming of shyness) should be possible in public space, should be possible anywhere, anytime. It shouldn't be dependent on the protection of four walls or a blanket to hide under. see "intimate interview with Jan Ritsema".
So speaking German with Jenny created a kind of complicity. But the intimacy experienced was more related to a genuine interest in the other person, an attraction and sympathy that made us click and provided fuel for conversation.
Jenny and I talked about the sleeping project. Jenny told me about her difficulties falling asleep. She tries many different tasks and exercises to fall asleep like counting sheep or tracing her room with her eyes in the dark. She is particular about hygiene when sleeping in a bed with someone she doesn't know so well. She slept with a girl once whose linen were grimy with sand and other dirt particles. This made her feel uncomfortable. I think I can relate to this need for hygiene. I usually worry a lot about my own hygiene when I sleep with someone. I worry about farting in the middle of the night or having bad breath when sleeping face to face with someone.
I learned a lot of new things about Jenny. She is a DJ and used to play the cello. She doesn't smoke but likes to smoke a joint every now and then. She can adapt quite easily and isn't very demanding in relationships. People often think she is too nice and "adapted". I'm not sure that is the right word. In German it is "angepasst", which means you adapt easily to each situation and become a bit of a social chameleon. That was my first impression too when I first met her last summer in Vienna. But I think very differently now. She has a lot of very odd and peculiar sides about her. And what I love about Jenny is that she laughs and giggles and talks a lot about herself, but also listens very well. Jenny and I walked in the forest and got a bit lost. We arrived in a small village and had to ask some local people for directions back to the monastery. We also saw a dead deer by the side of the road. We stole pears in an orchard and talked about our profession and about future plans. All of this together made our walk into a fulfilling experience - even if it stayed on a light and superficial level. I find Jenny a very stimulating partner to talk to and be with. There isn't the same kind of depth and fine-tuned emotional connection I share with Min however. But does that mean I feel less intimately connected to Jenny? Is intimacy really about depth? Or is it about feeling free to be who you are and say what you need? Isn't it sometimes more difficult to express yourself freely in a mature and deep relationship? As opposed to a relationship that is still full of potential, an uncharted territory yet to be discovered?

No comments: